Getting a new pet is an exciting time but you may not be sure if you want a kitten or a puppy. There are a lot of things to consider. Today, our Cedar Mill Veterinary Hospital vets will provide you with information on why raising puppies and kittens together is a great idea.
About Raising Puppies & Kittens Together
It is always a wonderful decision to get a new pet, but it can be scary to get two new pets at the same time. There are a lot of benefits to raising your new puppy and kitten together.
When dogs and cats are introduced properly at a young age, the hate and fear instinct doesn't have the chance to grow and increase in them so they can overcome it a lot faster. Puppies and kittens can become best friends and thrive together but this isn't always the case.
Our Cedar Mill Veterinary Hospital vets will explain why raising them both at the same time can be good for your pets.
Are They A Good Match?
Puppies and Kittens are generally a good match for each other for several different reasons including:
- Personal Hygiene- You will notice that your puppy and kitten will start to clean each other, this is just them telling each other that it is time for a cleaning.
- Keep Each other Company- When you have to leave the house your pet misses you. Having a puppy and a kitten at home together gives them someone to spend time with on those days when they are all alone.
- Outside "Buddies"- Kittens are not always outdoor pets but they can be a play friend for your puppy as they are learning to go outside. You can put both your kitten and puppy on a leash and take them outside for playtime.
- Sleep- Sleeping in a new place can be very scary but then you have your new kitten and puppy they can cuddle together when they want to sleep.
- Potty Training- If you are raising a puppy and kitten together, they can be potty trained together and will be able to learn from each other.
- House Rules- As you are teaching your dog not to jump on the furniture or stay in a certain area of the house, you can teach all your pets the same rules. This also makes it easier on your puppy because they are not being disciplined when the kitten is not.
Can They Become Best Friends?
One benefit of raising a puppy and a kitten together is that they will most likely be the best of friends for life. Since they are growing up together, they are there for each other. Having each other also helps especially if your cat or puppy has anxiety or attachment insecurities.
Make sure to do some research on the best types of dogs that bond with cats. There are certain breeds of dogs that have a harder time bonding with cats. When choosing the breed of dog you want to get keep in mind that any kind of terrier, sighthound or husky doesn't generally match well with cats. But spaniels and retrievers, bulldogs, Keeshonds, poodles, and Lhasa apsos are usually good with kittens.